In late 2018, Google released four new search metrics to help better identify ad position performance. As part of L2T’s ongoing commitment to delivering the most effective solutions for our customers, we are analyzing the value of these new metrics to use in our performance optimizations and future best practices.
These metrics show precisely where your ads are displayed on the page related to other paid ads and organic search results, allowing advertisers to more accurately assess how often ads show at the top of the search results page. Advertisers can use these metrics to ensure paid search campaigns do the following:
- Get the most effective positioning
- Adjust bids based on efficiency
- Increase ad position and overall Impression Share
The four new ad position metrics provide more details about where the ad appears:
- Search Top Impression Share – Impression Share calculated based on the number of ad impressions shown in any position above the organic results.
- Search Absolute Top Impression Share – Impression Share calculated based on the number of ad impressions displayed in the very first position on the results page.
- Impression (Top) % – Percent of ad impressions that your ad was shown in any position above organic results.
- Impression (Absolute Top) % – Percent of ad impressions that your ad was shown in the very first position on the results page.
L2TMedia is currently evaluating the value of these metrics to determine the overall value and roll out a plan for performance optimization which may include bid adjustments, a stronger focus on day parting, location targeting as well as keyword/negative keyword updates.