Google Ads (formerly Google AdWords) is now reporting Store Visits as a new Conversion Metric for a small group of dealers across the U.S. A store visit is someone who physically walked into a dealership after clicking on a paid search ad or being shown a viewable impression* of a display ad within the past 30 days. Currently about 250-300 dealerships nationwide are able to track Store Visits. The quantity of dealers is expected to increase over time. In approximately 12 months, about half of all dealers in the U.S. are expected to be tracking Store Visits.
Store Visit data is based on anonymous, aggregated statistics. Google Ads creates a count of visitors by using current and past data on the number of people who click or view your ads and later visit your store. Store visit data can’t be tied to individual ad clicks, viewable impressions or people. Industry best practices are used to ensure the privacy of individual users. Google states that they are accurate >99% of the time.
By tracking Store Visits, you are able to see which campaigns, keywords and devices drive the most store visits to your business. You can understand your return on investment (ROI) and make more informed decisions about your ad creatives, spend, bid strategies and other elements of your campaigns.
To be able to measure store visit conversions you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Receive thousands of ad clicks and viewable impressions.
- Have a Google My Business account linked to your Google Ads account.
- Create each of your store locations in your Google My Business account.
- Have at least 90% of your linked locations verified in Google My Business.
- Ensure location extensions are active in your account.
- Have sufficient store visits data on the backend to attribute to ad click or viewable impressions traffic and pass our user privacy thresholds.
If you work directly with L2T:
- We need the login and password for the Google My Business (GMB) account of the dealership or add firstname.lastname@example.org as an admin to your GMB account. Here are Google instructions on how to link the accounts.
- GMB account is verified by Google as being your business
- L2TMedia will link your GMB account to our Google Ads account
- Have sufficient store visit data to attribute ad clicks and/or viewable impressions and pass Google’s user privacy thresholds. These thresholds are not published and L2T does not know when a dealership hits that threshold until data starts appearing in Google Ads.
If you have any further questions, please contact us today.
*An ad impression is considered viewable when at least 50% of the ad is on screen for at least 1 second.