NADA is right around the corner – it’s the world’s largest international gathering of franchised new-vehicle dealers. The convention offers dealers a rare chance to meet face-to-face with executives of major auto manufacturers and features hundreds of exhibitors like L2TMedia showcasing the latest services and technologies and dozens of workshops with the industry’s best trainers. NADA represents nearly 16,000 new-car and new-truck dealerships with 32,500 franchises, both domestic and international. The 2016 NADA Convention & Expo will take place Thursday, January 26 – Sunday, January 29, 2017 in New Orleans. L2TMedia will be in booth 3373.
How do you prepare for such a conference? This is a guide to squeezing all the value you can out of NADA. We’re assuming you have two goals for attending NADA:
- Learning: gain as much knowledge as possible
- Networking: make valuable connections
1) Pick your sessions in advance.
Check out the Schedule-at-a-Glance from NADA and prepare your own schedule for NADA.
2) Connect with fellow attendees and exhibitors prior to NADA.
Here are some conversation starters:
- Which sessions are you planning to go to? Any recommendations?
- Do you plan to attend any of the after parties?
- Do you know anyone else going to this event?
- Want to meet for coffee, lunch or a drink afterward?
If you do this well, you’ll start enjoying the networking benefits long before the event begins.
3) Make your notes actionable.
Your notes will be a combination of information, quotes and ideas. When you’re back in your office days later, reviewing everything will be a real job.
4) Join others at lunch.
“Never eat alone” It’s great advice. Lunch is a great time to socialize.
5) During Q&A, ask a question that’s relevant to all attendees.
If there’s time for questions after a session, be the first to raise your hand. When you stand up to ask your question, remember that your asking on behalf of everyone who is attending the session. You’re representing the entire audience.
6) Introduce yourself to the exhibitors, like L2TMedia in Booth 3373!
There are hidden gems in those trade show booths. People in the booth are often just glad to have someone to chat with.
- Don’t expect junior salespeople. Both of our company’s founders will be at NADA including L2TMedia’s entire sales team.
- If you do hear a pitch, listen attentively and then actively try to help. This might mean sharing an idea, suggesting a connection or giving feedback on their pitch.
- We will have swag to give away, so stop by. And if you set up a meeting prior to NADA, you’ll be eligible for a drawing for an $1000 gift card.
The expo area is often the most casual and carefree place in a conference. It’s also a good central meeting place to rendezvous with friends and attendees.
7) Wear layers and comfy shoes.
Conference centers are often over-air conditioned, so bring an extra layer just in case.
8) Relax, don’t expect to catch everything!
Don’t spread yourself too thin. Be realistic. Don’t cut a good conversation short to go look for a better one. Don’t walk away from an interesting topic. Of course you’re missing something. NADA is HUGE!
9) Connect quickly.
Business cards are like bread. They get stale quickly. After a few days, you’ll forget what you talked about. After a week or two, you’ll forget how you met them completely! Use the cards to connect on Linkedin upon your return from NADA.
So hope these tips help you prepare for NADA – if you’d like to meet with us in Las Vegas, complete this form and we’ll be in touch to set a time.